Update on OB 2.0 and a Dependency Injection Container

Mar 5, 2007 at 8:50 PM
Brad,

I was wondering if there is an update on ObjectBuilder 2.0 and if you guys were planning to publish a roadmap for the product as well as any documentation in the near future?

The EntLib 3.0 Team came out with a really cool Policy Injection Application Block, but it has a huge void: noDependency Injection Application Block to work with it. Everytime I want to use the PIAB I need to use a separate DI Tool so I don't have to specify the concrete class that implements the Interface.

See here for more information:

Missing PolicyInjection.Create Method from PIAB

I can't get overly excited about the Policy Injection Application Block if I have to specify the concrete class ( MyService) that implements the interface (IService) everytime I use it such as:

IService service = PolicyInjection.Create<MyService,IService>();

What we need before this goes live is a solution like:

IService service = PolicyInjection.Create<IService>();

where the Policy Injection Application Block is using a Dependency Injection Application Block to get the concrete service that implements the Interface.

Any update on OB 2.0 and thoughts on this need for a DIAB or container?

Regards,

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
Mar 6, 2007 at 4:56 PM
And the WCSF team changed it a bit beacause the greedy locking was a performance hit for web.

Edward Jezierskisaid:

The approach requires the use of a factory instead of just new for objects that have policy, which can be frustrating. If you are using our Software Factories or specifically Composite UI (CAB), Composite Web UI (CWAB) or a future Web Service Software Factory v3 preview, you are probably already using Object Builder under the hood for dependency injection, and we will provide an Object Builder strategy to make the addition of this PIAB functionality transparent to the rest of the app.
Mar 13, 2007 at 2:47 AM
I really like what the WCSF Team is doing with ObjectBuilder and glad to hear that they are helping it along for web development use.

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#
Mar 13, 2007 at 2:58 AM
Again, I was wondering if there is an update on ObjectBuilder 2.0 and if you guys were planning to publish a roadmap for the product as well as any documentation in the near future?

Dave

David Hayden
Microsoft MVP C#