Is ObjectBuilder dead?

Topics: ObjectBuilder
Mar 13, 2008 at 10:03 AM
Hi there!

Reading about Unity and that Scott Densmore is part of the Unity guys and that Peter Provost quitted the p&p goup, I would like to know if the ObjectBuilder 2.0 is dead?

-Matthias
Coordinator
Mar 13, 2008 at 4:21 PM
The P&P team is releasing something in the "ObjectBuilder2" namespace as part of Unity, but it is only very loosely based on the work that Scott and I did.
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2008 at 12:07 AM
It is not dead. Just waiting to have a little life breathed into again. We will be making it work (a little different from Unity).
Mar 14, 2008 at 6:49 AM
Nice to hear it's not dead.
But being a user of an DI framework, I wonder why you work on both, ObjectBuilder and Unity.
Wouldn't it make more sense to focus on one and making the decision, which one to use, easier for us users?
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2008 at 5:43 PM
I believe it is a matter of choice. My biggest thing is to get people moving in the direction of container based development. The right one... the one that best fits your needs. I know some will only be able to use MS related code.... so Unity is your key... others can choose Windsor etc.
Mar 16, 2008 at 8:13 PM
As far as I've seen (build of 03/12), Unity uses ObjectBuilder2 as the object factory of its choice.
Will ObjectBuilder stay in place even for the release of Unity? Or will those guys switch to another object factory?
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2008 at 1:08 AM
The ObjectBuiler2 project being used by Unity is an adaptation of (and dramatic departure from, IMO) the work Scott and I did here.
Coordinator
Mar 17, 2008 at 2:08 AM
Yes it will stay in place. We will see what happens over time.
Mar 17, 2008 at 6:59 AM
I think you're overstating the departure. All the basics of OB are still in place, and a lot of the fundamental architectural improvements you made (hierarchical policy lists & strategy chains, for example) are all still present.

Yes, we did add new strategies that work radically different than the original onces. But that was done specifically to address performance issues, things that p&p customer have been complaining about for years. And yes, I did change the IBuilderStrategy interface. That was to improve debuggability. Neither of these things were on your original radar; I expect if they were you would have ended up in close to the same spot.

The interception and event broker stuff aren't in there, granted, but I thought that was the whole point of having them in separate assemblies? While I doubt a standard event broker will be part of the core package, we will be doing an interception system as an extension, and it'll probably be based on what you did (which, in turn, was based on what I did. :-) ).
Mar 17, 2008 at 7:01 AM
Cool!
That's good news to me, 'cause I like the work you did and I would appreciate to see an adaption of ObjectBuilder2 in a major community product, like CAB/SCSF (reloaded) und EntLib.
Now this will happen with Unity and its integration within EntLib.
Feb 3, 2010 at 6:54 AM

>>The ObjectBuiler2 project being used by Unity is an adaptation of (and dramatic departure from, IMO) the work Scott and I did here.

I think Chris already integrated ObjectBuilder into Unity so Unity can run without OB dll. Does it means OB is dead now?